Posted by 1 reaction· August 03, 2023 5:23 PM ·
Posted by 1 reaction· May 25, 2023 7:17 PM ·
Posted by 2 reactions· May 12, 2023 8:57 PM ·
We hold all sorts of events from protests and forest blockades to parties, concerts and film nights.
We're most well known for our citizen science forest survey camps, held every three months in the forests of far East Gippsland.See all events
We want to say a huge THANK YOU to all the people who wrote to politicians, made submissions, donated, signed petitions, and shared our posts. Thanks to you we’ve had some important wins, and we’re gearing up for another year of campaigning for permanent protection of East Gippsland’s forests.
Here’s a recap of what’s happened over the last year;
The State government has issued fines to three citizen science surveyors who reported illegal rainforest logging. Despite the State government committing to implementing a raft of changes to logging rules in light of the information we provided, fines have been issued for entering logging "safety zone". We'll be fighting the fines in court and will not be silenced for speaking out about VicForests unlawful logging operations.
The so called 'safety zones' are designed to keep the public out of the forests and shield VicForests logging operations from scrutiny. We'll continue to monitor and document logging operations. It's in the public interest for the public to know what is happening in their forests.
Camp Kuark threatened species survey weekend was a great success! 40 enthusiastic and energetic people from across Victoria and interstate attended and took part in forest walks, flora surveys, rainforest identification workshops, nocturnal spotlighting and Owl surveys.
It was great to meet so many new people, share with them the beauty of the Kuark forest and inform them about the logging that threatens this incredible forest.
Goongerah Environment Centre Office (GECO) is a grass roots group fighting for protection of East Gippsland's forests.
Based in the small town of Goongerah in far East Gippsland Victoria, since 1993 we have campaigned for ancient forests under threat from logging using education and public awareness, political lobbying, non-violent direct action, citizen science and forest monitoring.
We live and work on the stolen lands of the Gunaikurnai and Bidewell and Monero people, where sovereignty was never ceded. We pay respect to the thousands of years of their ongoing custodianship of the land.
Check out some of our achievements here:
GECO is a non-hierarchical organisation. We are a group of individuals involved in collective action to protect East Gippsland's old growth forests and to support actions happening around Australia and the world.
- We support Non Violent Direct Action
- We receive no government funding. GECO and our campaigns rely on our own fundraising and donations.
- We practice consensus decision making that encourages and respects pluralism of opinion.
- We seek to minimise our impact on the earth and Refuse, Reuse, Reduce and Recycle.
- We aim to use gender neutral language and behave with an awareness of gender issues. Sexual Harassment and verbal or physical violence towards others is not accepted.
- We advocate the development and adoption of a diversified regional economy for East Gippsland for example, Nature-based Eco-tourism.
- We advocate ethical investments, and consumer awareness.
- We support the struggles of indigenous people worldwide to maintain their cultures and land - Indigenous Solidarity
- We strive towards environmental and social justice. Our community values diversity and harmony and encourages viable models for social change.