This summer old growth forests are under threat.
Join GECO at the Goongerah Campground for an extended forest rescue camp to help defend East Gippsland's forests from logging.
Gain skills, experience and knowledge in the following areas:
- Forest survey techniques (camera trapping, spotlighting etc)
- Non Violent Direct Action skills
- Tree Climbing
- Legal rights for forest activists
- Monitoring and reporting on logging activities
- Rainforest identification
- Reporting threatened species detection's & logging breaches
- Ecology and biodiversty of East Gippsland's forests
The structure of the program will remain very flexible with no set day to day itinerary. We need flexibility in order to respond to the most urgent threats to different forests that may be under threat during the time of the camp.
No matter when you come or how long you stay for there will be lots of opportunities for you to gain practical skills and help the campaign to protect East Gippsland's forests from logging.
If you are looking for a more formal and structured experience focusing solely on citizen science forest surveying, please come to our Citizen Science camp in March 2018
The GECO kitchen tent and marque will be set up. These are communal cooking spaces equipped with gas burners, pots, pans and utensils for all to use.
Our water trailer will be in place providing clean rainwater for drinking and a washing up station.
Please bring your own food for all meals and be as self sufficient as possible.
Toilets are available at the campground, there are no showers but the Brodrib river has some excellent swimming holes (please no soap in or within 100m of the river)
What to bring:
- Camping gear: tent/swag and tarp, head torch, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, water bottles/containers etc
- Warm clothing and wet weather gear
- Sturdy footwear for walking in the bush
- Gaiters or tough long pants for walking
- A full tank of fuel when you leave Orbost (if coming form Melbourne) or Bombala (if coming from Sydney)
For more information email [email protected]